Saturday, September 3, 2011

It's a Lake Kind of Summer

My parent's have a beautiful new lake house....


...on a beautiful private, quiet lake....


...and they stated this summer they were not going anywhere. They would stay at the lake and let everyone come visit them. Thus, I have spent pretty much every free weekend I've had this summer at the lake.

It is awesomely beautiful. First thing in the morning, the lake is so quiet it looks like glass. The temperature here in the hills of the Poconos is a little cooler; during the day hits the 80's but at night (even mid summer) it drops to the 60's. There are few things in the world better than a morning cup of coffee on the deck as the day is just starting to warm up. After that, I pretty much live in a bathing suit. It's been an entirely new experience for me as I've never had a lake or pool or beach at my house before. You use a lot less clothing. We have this amazing float called The Caribbean Island that fits up to 6 people and is perfect for laying out in the sun and reading.  My parents have also invested in a new (beautiful) boat that has been in constant use this summer for tubing and even more so water skiing.

I love water skiing. My sister was home from college all summer and my brother came to visit very frequently like me, so we have had lots of family fun on the lake. The entire family's water skiing skills have greatly improved this summer, as at least 1 or 2 people are skiing every day, multiple times a day. The 3 kids can all slalom water ski (only 1 ski is used), and my mom can as well! In true Emanuelson style though, this did not occur without much comedy and a few injuries. Most injuries have been bumps and bruises (some very large), but most notably we have broken 2 ski ropes and 4 ribs. The most common phrase used at the local boat store when we walk in is, "Have you ever seen this before?". This mainly relates to the 2 destroyed water skiing tow ropes we have brought in. Apparently it is very hard to break a handle in half or completely tear the rubber handle lining off, however we have managed to do both in one summer. The 4 broken ribs would belong to my mother following a very rough fall. Who new water could break bones? Not to worry though, she is recovering well and has stopped golfing and lifting heavy things after seeing the x-ray.

Most importantly though, this should entice you to come visit. The only way to truly understand the lake house experience is to come, have a margarita at noon, and try your hand at tubing or water skiing. So everyone start making plans for next summer...


No comments:

Post a Comment